Sunday, April 20, 2008

Welcome


The goal of this blog is to help you produce clear writing every time you write. In some posts, we will also discuss speaking as well as writing.

Here is the method I will normally use: each post will cover one specific technique for clear writing. I will show you some real-world text that is not a good example of clear writing. Then I will show you how the writer could have made the text clearer.

In effect, you can look over my shoulder as I edit someone’s copy. You won’t have to feel awkward or defensive, because it won’t be your copy. (I have hired and trained more than 275 technical and business writers. This method is the best one I’ve found.)

If appropriate, I will explain any relevant principles of clear writing, grammar, logic, composition or diction. So, you’ll get not only the “what to do” and “how to do it” of clear writing but also the “why” – but without a heavy payload of grammar technicalities or other academic content.

At the end of the post, I’ll include a brief “takeaway” that will help you remember and use the technique covered in the post.

In this way, I can show you a great many easy and practical techniques for clear writing, without boring you with hypothetical examples or a rigid compliance to a grammar syllabus. You may even find the posts enjoyable.

Please feel free to post questions, comments or requests.

Best to you,

Joseph Armagnac Roy, “Mr. Clarity”

No comments:

Post a Comment